This Steel Path build is focused around switching forms to take advantage of the survivability/crowd control of night form and [Maim] nuking of day form. Night mode allows you to crowd control entire maps by putting them to sleep with Rest, allowing you to kill them at your leisure to store damage as well as restore shields with Mend for shield gating. With the augment [Energy Transfer], switching to day mode preserves the stored damage. Once you have stored sufficient damage and there is a good enemy density, switch to day form and deactivate 4 to nuke the map.
Resonator is an optional helminth subsume over 2 or 3 which makes everything just easy mode by turning off enemy AI in a 42m radius so you don't even get shot anymore. No need to bother even casting 2 in the case. If you do run resonator, then switch [Transient Fortitude] out for [Augur Reach] since resonator is all you need for survival.
Note that the damage of [Maim] is affected by armor, and falls off hard against higher level steel path without armor strip.
If you want to add forma, adding - polarities is a good idea.
Gloom time freeze build: https://overframe.gg/build/235332/equinox-prime/longest-day-and-eternal-night-gloom-equinox-day-maim-stun-night-99-slow/
Silence Night mode crowd control god: https://overframe.gg/build/279616/
Full Strip Pillage and Nuke: https://overframe.gg/build/264320/equinox-prime/pillage-equinox-full-armor-strip-maim/
Rest Focus/XP farm: https://overframe.gg/build/218823/equinox-prime/rest-equinox-stealth-xp-focus-farm/
Duality AFK: https://overframe.gg/build/207021/equinox-prime/eclipse-equinox-duality-clone/
- Start off in DAY form and activate 3 followed by 4 at the beginning of the mission (this boosts the strength of [Maim]). Then switch to NIGHT mode immediately with 1, which means the boosted strength [Maim] is converted into mend, and you will be able to fill shields with just 3 kills rather than 4. Reactivate 3 for a small damage reduction boost.
- Crowd control enemies with 2 (either rest or resonator) - remember rest can be cast through walls. Use this to your advantage.
- Kill enemies with your weapons while in night form to both [Regen] shields and store damage
- Use [Rolling Guard] and shield [Regen] from kills to shield gate for survivability
- Once sufficient damage is stored, swtich to day form by pressing 1, and deactivate 4 to nuke
- Immediately reactivate 3 and 4, then switch back to night form and reactivate 3
Here is a video example of shield gating with night form to survive and crowd control with rest:
A low duration does not really affect the build since you will still be hitting the efficiency cap, giving minimal chanelling cost of 0.88 energy/s. This also gives rest & [Rage] a sleep time of 15s which is more than sufficient and the buffs from 1 are usually inconsequential. 3 is not affected by duration.
Max efficiency of 190% (not shown in game) is recommended to hit the minimal drain cap (at neutral duration) of 0.88/s so you can maintain 3 and 4 at all times. This also makes casting all abilities very cheap allowing you to spam 2 for crowd control.
High range of 250% for an insane 45 m through-wall radius for maim, 12.5m for rest, and 37.5m for resonator if you use it. Put Augur Reach over transient fortitude for non-steel path content to hit max range of 280%.
The damage of [Maim] is 75% of the damage done to enemies and this does not change with strength. Strength does however affect the amount of shields you gain per kill in night form, meaning you need exactly 4 kills to hit max shields (note: You MUST be holding a Decaying Dragon key to reduce shields to 75), and the damage reduction from 3 in night form, so maintaining near neutral strength is good for increasing survivability. If you run resonator however, you can drop [Transient Fortitude] completely for more range with [Augur Reach]. Since each kill at 95% only gives 24 shield, you can improve this by activating 3 while in day form to get a 19% ability strength buff, then activating 4, then switching to night form - this will let you hit max shields in 3 kills.
- Energize - pretty crucial for energy regen while chanelling
- Aegis - Additional safety net in addition to night form shield gain
If you want to focus only on day form nuking in lower level content, then switch [Energy Transfer] for [Natural Talent] to speed up cast speed.
Pacify and Provoke will be your least used ability, so you can swap this out for one of the following:
- Resonator - as mentioned, with extremely high range, resonator just shuts off AI across the map making the game easy
- Fire blast - since [Maim] is blocked by armor, using fire blast can greatly improve the damage of maim. You will however need to 100% strength to maximise armor debuff (switch cunning drift for power drift).
- Ensnare/Larva/Airburst/Coil Horizon - grouping abilities provide good crowd control and can group enemies so you can shoot them OR use Unairu to full strip them before using maim.
- Breach Surge - reasonable crowd control (not ideal) and creates surge sparks on damage
- Enermy Radar - best in slot for equinox since you want to always keep track of where enemy density is to manage your crowd control and nuke activation
- Corrosive projection - slightly helps against armored grineer, but mostly useless
Flexible depending on preference:
- Cunning drift to maximise range
- Power drift to hit 100% str breakpoint if needed
- Primed sure footed or handspring for knockdown
- Amber shards: at least 2 cast speed shards
- Azure shards: rest into energy max shards
- Crimson shards: +strength shards optional
A fun weapon that kind of matches Equinox's 'theme' is Zenith, an atronomically related term. Zenith's alt-fire mode also has infinite punchthrough but the enemy indicator built into the weapon only has a 20m range. [Equinox] [Maim] has a 45m range and the slash procs generated by [Maim] create a visual indicator of enemy position allowing you to target enemies through walls up to 45m away even without the inbuilt indicator.
Zenith build : https://overframe.gg/build/237176/zenith/zenith-viral-hm-anti-grineer/
Sigma and Octantis : Another 'astronomy' theme related weapon, but which can also use the Equinox Deluxe sword and shield skin! https://overframe.gg/build/285967/